I love knit toys. I think that's pretty clear if you follow this blog. Toys make me remember times that were simpler, and the games that I played when I was little. This book is unique. Each pattern section has a short little story. What a fun way to give a toy that you made to your child, reading these 1 paragraph stories while they're hugging the stuffed animal.
- The Bunny Bunch (2 sizes of Bunnies)
- Bertie and Beatrice the Birds (These remind me of sparrows.)
- Fredrick the Frog Prince (see cover image)
- Babushkas (These 3 dolls REALLY STACK!)
- Three Hungry Bears
- Polly Dolly's Dress-up Day (A doll and various outfits for her)
- Simon Snake (Incredible color work on the length of the body creates a scale-like effect)
- Piggies at Play (Scraps of fabric are used as finishing details. Make pigs sweet by putting a bit of floral fabric in the ears. )
- Mischievous Mice
- Eddie the Friendly Elephant
- Three Little Fish (So colorful and fun!)
- Peter Penguin's Fishing Trip
- The Owl and the Pussycat (Scraps of white felt are sewn on for the eyes) They even have a boat to sit in!
Some of the magic of the patterns comes from the finishing details (embroidery and fabric). These are often things that I have difficulty reproducing, but I feel like these toys would have magic even without fabric. After the techniques section, there is a chapter with shapes so you can see how to cut out the fabric.
Enjoy a trip down memory lane with this book!