I knit this pattern in the round, not flat as instructed. I suppose that flat makes sense if you don't have a bunch of dpn's laying around, but it saved a lot of seaming to knit in the round!
In the end, the arms were 2" long and the legs 5" long (not including mittens or shoes!)
- I knit all pieces in the round (except for the leaf which was flat.) The patterns were easily adaptable to round knitting.
- In the head, I only did 8 repeats of the ribbing (16 rows) rather than 12 repeats (24 rows).
- On the mittens, I increased the rounds in the palm to 7 from 4.
The pieces are all ready... now some magic is needed to bring them to life!
When twisting arms and legs, I tied a not at the end with a scrap of orange yarn to help me make them the same length (and so I wouldn't risk loosing my twist!)
The vine pipe cleaner was pretty fun to make. I inserted the pine cleaner and secured it in the stalk before I wrapped it with the green yarn. With wrapping, I did it such that both ends of the yarn ended up inside the stalk. The yarn was on the verge of easily slipping off the pipe cleaner, so I dabbed some glue over the outside to secure it (after twisting).
To connect the arms and legs to the body, I used a yarn needle to pull the excess limb the body until I got the length I wanted. The twisted cord was thick enough that it was quite stable without needing too much reinforcement.
I didn't have any felt so I used black construction paper for the nose and mouth. The length of the arms and legs in the pattern was too big for my guy.