Monday, February 20, 2017

Happy Birthday, Keith!

Happy Birthday, Keith!  Happy Happy Birthday to YOU!  Keith's birthday always falls at the end of a long holiday season from December to the end of February we have my birthday, Chanukkah, Christmas, our non-wedding anniversary, Ryder's birthday, Valentine's Day and then Keith's birthday.  I frequently try to plan out all of these gift giving opportunities at the same time so it is hard for me to hold back gifts at Christmas time because I'm so excited for him to open them up.

This year I made Lucky's birthday shirt, I made Rowdy's birthday shirt (not yet published on ChemKnits), and I figured, why not make Keith a birthday shirt, too?

My original idea was just to put "33" on the front of the shirt.  But now this is a shirt that Keith can only wear one day.... ever.  (Technically he could wear it more days, but realistically I can't see him wearing it for more than 5 minutes.)  I could put "Birthday Boy" or "1984" on the front... but would Keith technically deserve a new shirt every year just like my other boys?  Even if this is mostly a gag gift, maybe I should stick to my original idea.

When I was shopping on Small Business Saturday, I found the coolest paper airplane fabric.  I knew that this would be the perfect choice to make Keith an epic birthday shirt.  This also meant that I didn't have to worry about creating something besides the number on the front of the shirt.

I thought I was going to put a large "33" on the front and a (slightly) smaller "DAD" on the back.  I could have done "DADDY" but I was afraid that the letters would be too narrow to really appreciate the fabric.  I printed out both sides so I could pick which one fit better.  In the end, I decided to go with Dad (less cutting and sewing PLUS more fabric for each letter.)

Selecting the fonts was easier this time.  I used the same font (Hobo Std) that I used in the applique name pillows I made the boys since I love how it turned out. The word "DAD" is size 350, "33" is 550 and "DADDY" is size 200.

I've now done a bunch of different applique projects so making this shirt feels like an piece of cake.  I traced the letters backwards onto some two sided applique interfacing and then cut out the letters and ironed them onto the shirt.

One one of my pieces of paper I had a 1"x5" box to help me scale items and I realized that I wasn't printing to scale, I think I might have been "sizing to fit" before I printed.  Ultimately this doesn't matter for this project but I need to pay attention when I'm printing out pattern pieces.

I used the settings 8, 2.0, 0.4 for my zig zag stitch.  This was slightly more open than I've done on other projects lately. I like that it is a bit open and that it looks almost like the lined paper the planes are made out of.  I would go with 0.3/2 distance in the future.  I especially was nervous because this is the same thread combo that gave me issues on my Wellesley pillow.  I had no issues with the applique!

This project whipped up so fast!  I'm really getting the hang of appliqueing things onto shirts.  I may need to find some better fusible web since that seems to become undone in the wash (I haven't washed this shirt yet, but my only ironed, not stitched Wellesley Tshirt W's came off and my red bird was a little wrinkled until I ironed it again.)

I can't wait to see Keith's face when he opens up this present! I'm not sure if he'll let me share a picture of him wearing the shirt with you, but I'll try to post an update if he gives permission.  

Now I need to start thinking about Indy's birthday shirt...  Thankfully I have until June to make this work!

Project started and completed 12/20/2016


  1. When professors want to test their students’ critical thinking skills, they often prefer to hand out short essay exams or short-answer tests. With this task this writing service can help It's a perfect option to every student.

  2. Hello! I found your post and decided to add some words under it. What a great idea to share with people! Looks great! By the way, you can find interesting writing ideas and help at the

  3. I have thought so many times of entering the blogging world as I love reading them. I think I finally have the courage to give it a try. Thank you so much for all of the ideas!


  4. I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on this blog . You have made my day! I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.

  5. These essay writing services can be found online by reading review reviews, which will assist you in selecting the top essay writing services and avoiding being a victim of scam. This may be avoided by keeping track of how properly the website is designed and maintained, as well as the credentials and experience of the team members.

  6. Beschermhoes van non-woven SMS met elastische enkels, gezicht, manchetten en tailleband om de maat aan te passen. Een zelfklevende flap voor een betere sluiting aan de voorkant.
    Type 5 & 6 met volledige conformiteit met classificatie volgens EN 14325

    Materiaal: SMS 100% polypropyleen 50 g / m2
    Beschikbare kleuren: Blauwe
    Maat: XL-XXL
    Verpakking: 50 stuks
    Prijs: € 1,90 SOCIAL ACCOUNTS Wegwerp overall categorie III type 5/6 Blauwe

  7. Regardless of the length of the rough draft, it should be as long as the final version. Although many writers overwrite their rough drafts, this can essaywritinghelp work in their favor. You'll have more material to work with in the final draft if you've included all the good parts from your rough draft. Always remember to cite your sources in a rough draft to get an idea of how the piece reads as a whole.