Sometimes you need a simple little creation for a holiday gift. I wanted to create something elegant yet functional, as elegant as a beer cozy could be. I went to the Pick-a-Stitch knitting software (read my review at FaveCrafts.com) and the Zig Zag Lace pattern immediately caught my eye. I knew that this would be something I could adapt into a beautiful beer cozy.
This beer cozy is knit from the top down in the round on double pointed needles.
- ~20 yards Remnants of Machine Washable Worsted Weight yarn, (15 g of unknown brand consumed in this project)
- 4 - Size 3 (3.25 mm) double pointed needles (Or round needle long enough for magic loop.)
- Gauge: ~ 6 sts/inch; 8 rows/inch over the lacy zig zag pattern
- Finished Size: 3.5” wide x 5.25” high
- A beer bottle to check the desired height
ZigZag Beer Cozy Knitting Pattern
- Cast on 43 sts in the main color (this will be the top of the cozy). Join to work in the round. Place a marker or somehow designate the begging of the round.
- For two rounds, *K2, P1* across until the last stitch, P1.
- Knit 1 row across
- ZigZag Row 1: *SSK, K2, YO, K2* repeat from * until last stitch, K1
- ZigZag Row 2: K across
- ZigZag Row 3: Repeat Row 1
- ZigZag Row 4: K across
- ZigZag Row 5: Repeat Row 1
- ZigZag Row 6: K across
- ZigZag Row 7: K3, *YO, K2, K2tog, K2* repeat from * until last 4 sts, YO, K2, K2tog.
- ZigZag Row 8: K across
- ZigZag Row 9: Repeat Row 7
- ZigZag Row 10: K across
- ZigZag Row 11: Repeat Row 7
- ZigZag Row 12: K across
- Repeat ZigZag Rows 1-12 twice more for a total of 36 pattern rounds worked.
- Begin shaping for the Cozy Bottom: K13, K2tog, K12, K2tog, K12, K2tog (40 sts)
- K1 round even
- K1, *K1, K2tog* Repeat from * across (27 sts)
- K1 round even
- K2tog across until the last stitch, K1 (14 sts)
- K2tog across (7 sts)
- Cut yarn, pull through remaining stitches and weave in loose ends.
I now want to make more things out of the lacy zigzag pattern! What would you make?
If you're making this cozy for someone as a gift, why not couple it with a beer of the month club membership? You can write a little card and slip it inside the cozy!
Abbreviations Used in this pattern:
Kfb - increase by knitting into the front and back of a single stitch.
M1 (Make 1)- increase stitch by picking up yarn between two stitches, twisting and knitting.K - knit
P - purl
I-cord - knit stitches on dpn's without ever turning the needle (effectively knitting in the round with a small number of stitches.)
SSK - decrease by slipping two stitches then knitting them together. Alternatively, you could slip one stitch, knit one stitch and pass slipped stitch over.
K2tog - decrease by knitting two stitches together.
This knitting pattern was created by ChemKnits for your personal or charity use. You are not to distribute or sell this pattern without the permission of ChemKnits. © 2012 www.ChemKnits.com Pattern originally published on FaveCrafts.com Fall 2012 with permission of ChemKnits.