If you follow me on Facebook then you know that I have a serious yarn stash problem, so any project that would help me completely use up the yarn would be an extra winner.
Materials for the Entire Snowy Penguin Set
- Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm) – circular needles & double pointed needles.
- Yarn: 1 ball Cascade 220 Superwash (C1 Color 817; white) and 1 ball of Cascade 220 Superwash Quatro (C2 Color 1954; purple).
- Vest Sample used 56 g, ~125 yards white; 51 g, ~115 yards purple.
- Hat Sample used 11 g, ~25 yards white; 35 g, ~77 yards purple.
- Mitts Sample used 20 g, ~44 yards white; 15 g, ~33 yards purple.
- Gauge : 24 sts/4” & 28 rows/4” over stranded colorwork in stockinette.
- Notions: stitch marker to note beginning of round, waste yarn or stitch holder, yarn needles, blocking mats and pins (optional).
- Finished Sizes: 9-12 Month
A note on yardage:
The samples were knit entirely out of 2 balls of Cascade 220 Superwash (Purple – 101 g, 222 yards with 1 g remaining; White – 87 g, 192 yards). The colorwork patterns in the hat and mitts were knit with the colors inverted to keep the entire set to two balls of yarn. If you are worried about yardage, I recommend knitting the ribbed brim of the hat in C1 (CO + 5 ribbed rounds) and switching to C2 as the MC for the chart.
Snowy Penguin Accessories
The Snowy Penguin Mitts are thumb-less toddler mittens that would fit for an entire season. The Mitts feature the adult penguin on the front and some snowflakes on the back.
The Snowy Penguin Hat has the penguin family on one side and then graduated snowflakes on the reverse, you have never seen snow look this ordered!
Finally, the Vest that started it all. I wanted to create a holiday sweater vest for Lucky that was whimsical and yet applicable for all of winter, not just Christmas. We have a bit of a penguin ornament collection in our house, so now Mr. Lucky can fit right in with the holiday decor. The vest features a penguin family on the front surrounded by a snowy day. The back has a huddle of baby penguins playing in a gentle dusting of snow. There is nothing cold about this set! I am looking for a large stuffed bear to wear the vest for the someday when Lucky out grows it!
I hope that you will enjoy the Snowy Penguin Set as much as I am!