Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Handspun Dragonfly

I finally did it! I took the plunge and started spinning some of my hand spun yarn. I really wanted to highlight the first yarn that I ever spun, which is super chunky, but I knew that I did not have enough yardage to knit something out of it. I realized that this yarn would make perfect dragonfly wings!

When I wound my handspun yarn into a ball, the ball started with the wool that I spun first, much lumpier and less
consistent than what I managed to do at the end. (The amount of improvement over 73 yards is amazing!) I therefore decided to rewind it into a second ball with the more even yarn in the middle. I would rather that this dragonfly feature as much of my lumpy yarn as possible. Thank you, Keith, for being a very patient swift for this project!

The purple handspun had 38 g before I started knitting, 31 g remain after I knit the body. This yarn has about 12 wpi, so according to my tool that would make it a DK weight. I knit this project on size 3 knitting needles so it would be tight enough to hold the stuffing, but still show the unevenness of the yarn. About 1 yard of the white hand spun consumed.

The wings looked great unblocked, but I wanted them to be a bit thinner. I therefore pinned the dragonfly upside down to make the wings longer and leaner.


  1. This is beautiful! I love it so much! Nice work, Rebecca!

  2. Thank you! I'm really happy to finally be using my handspun yarns. :)

  3. Beschermingsniveau
    CE Cat. III, Type 5B, 6B
    EN 13982-1:2004 Type 5 – Bescherming tegen vaste stof die gevaarlijk zijn voor de gezondheid
    Beschermende kleding voor gebruik tegen droge deeltjes. Prestatie-eisen voor beschermende kleding die het hele lichaam beschermt tegen vaste deeltjes in de lucht. Deze beschermende pakken voldoen aan de eis voor Ljmn82/90< 30=”” %=”” and=”” ls8/10=””>< 15=””>

    EN13034:2005 Type 6 – Bescherming tegen kleine spatten
    Beschermende kleding tegen vloeibare chemicaliën. Prestatie-eisen voor chemische beschermende kleding die een beperkte beschermende vorm tegen vloeibare chemicaliën biedt. De beschermende pakken hebben de volledige test voor pakken ondergaan (5.2). Beschermende kleding tegen giftige stoffen. TYPE 5 En 6 Microporeus Koel pak Ademend