My friends are going to wait to find out the sex of the baby until the birth. This means that I want to make a hat that is gender neutral, but I didn't want to go full on green and yellow since I'm sure they're going to get a lot of those colors. I opted for some blues, and just in case the baby is a girl I whipped up a quick crochet flower that could be sewn on if desired.
I could have gone with teal and grey, but those were the colors I used the LAST time I knit the chevron baby hat, and I wanted to have some variety in my project page. I also wanted to try out thicker stripes, so I'm going to change colors after every 4 rows versus every 2 as written in the pattern. I knit 6.5 entire big stripes before starting the decreases.
I chose a simple 5 petal flower for the embellishment. I left the loose ends on the back of the flower so it could be secured to the hat if necessary. I used a size E (3.5 mm) crochet hook for the flower.
I really like the flower against the chevron. I think I might embellish more of my designs in the future!