- Knitting Needles: 4 dpn Size 1, (2.5 mm)
- Yarn: Remnants of KnitPicks Palette Yarn (Fingering weight) in Black and Marble Heather (grey)
- Gauge: Not important for the completed project, but you want to knit tight enough that you will not see the polyester stuffing.
- Misc: Toy stuffing, yarn needle.
- Finished Size: 2.5 inch wingspan.
(Starting at the tip of the head.)
1. CO 6 sts. Join to knit in the round and knit one row.
2. Kfb across - 12 sts
3. K across
4. Kfb across - 24 sts
5. K across
6. K across
7. *K6, K2tog* repeat 3 times - 21 sts
8. K across
9. K2, K2tog, K5, K2tog, K5, K2tog, K3 - 18 sts
10. K across
11. *K1, K2tog* across- 12 sts
12. K across
Now starting the body of the fly.
13. Kfb across - 24 sts
14. K across
15. K1, Kfb, K8, Kfb, K2, Kfb, K8, kfb, K1 - 28 sts
16. K across
17. K1, Kfb, K10, Kfb, K2, Kfb, K10, kfb, K1 - 32 sts
Rows 18-20. K across
21. K1, K2tog, K10, K2tog, K2, K2tog, K10, K2tog, K1 - 28 sts
22. K across
23. K1, K2tog, K8, K2tog, K2, K2tog, K8, K2tog, K1 - 24 sts
24. K across
25. *K2, K2tog* across, 18 sts
26. K across
27. *K1, K2tog* across, 12 sts
Stuff the head and body with polyester stuffing.
28. K2tog across, 6 sts
Pull yarn through the remaining 6 sts, weave in loose ends.
Wings (make 2)
1. With grey, cast on 8. purl one row - 8 sts
2. Kfb, K6, Kfb - 10 sts
3. P across
4. Kfb, K8, Kfb - 12 sts
5. P across
6. SSK, K8, K2tog - 10 sts
7. P across
8. SSK, K6, K2tog - 8 sts
9. P across
10. SSK, K4, K2tog - 6 sts
11. P across
12. SSK, K2, K2tog - 4 sts
13. P across
14. SSK, K2tog - 2 sts
15. P2tog - 1 st, pull end through and weave in the end to the wing.
Weave some yarn through the edge of the wing, and gather slightly so the wing curl (like fly wings, not curl like stockinette stitches curl). Tie to keep the gather. Gather the cast-on edge and sew wings to the back of the fly body.
CyO is a dominant curly wing mutation often used as a marker, which is how the wings will appear when you sew them directly onto the back. However, I give you the ability to make the wings straighter. Behold:
WT (wild type, or without the mutation; left), CyO (right). Change the status of your fly by bending the curly wings outwards.
Legs (make 6)
CO 3 sts in black. Work as Icord for 8 rounds. Sew ends together into loop. Attach three to each side of the body.
Underside of the Fly for leg placement.
Eyes (make 2)
CO 3 sts of grey. Work in Icord for 4 rounds. Tie into a circle. Sew onto the head of the fly.
Buzz your little fly around your house. Annoy your brother (or sister). Place it in your fruit bowl. Make them multiple so you have an "infestation." I hope that this pattern made you smile!
Abbreviations Used in this pattern:
Kfb - increase by knitting into the front and back of a single stitch.
K - knit
P - purl
SSK - decrease by slipping two stitches then knitting them together. Alternatively, you could slip one stitch, knit one stitch and pass slipped stitch over.
K2tog - decrease by knitting two stitches together.
This this pattern was created by ChemKnits for your personal or charity use. This pattern is not to be replicated, sold or redistributed without permission from ChemKnits. © 2009 ChemKnits