Now, the Chunkeanie hat is supposed to be a chunky beanie, but I've got non-chunky yarn. I'm going to increase the number of stitches (and then the corresponding decreases) to fit the gauge that I can expect. (I'm being bad and not actually checking my gauge... but I've made enough men's hats that I know around 100 sts in worsted weight yarn on size 6 needles will fit well.)
I used 59 g (130 yards) of KnitPicks Full Circle Yarn (ponderosa) that was left over from Keith's sweater. I knit the hat on size 6 knitting needles.
My Modifications & Notes from Construction:
- Cast on 96 sts (*I would do 100, but the pattern calls for mulitiple of 8 stitches in each of the different sizes.)
- 3" Brim - 21 Rows of 1x1 ribbing.
- Reverse Stockinette before decreases - 28 rows (nice to see that my gauge is consistent!)
- Additional decreases:
- Decrease Round 0.1: *ssk, p20, K2tog* around. (88 sts)
- Decrease Round 0.2: *K1, P20, K1* across
- Decrease Round 0.3: *ssk, p18, K2tog* across (80 sts)
- Decrease Round 0.4: *K1, P18, K1* across
- Continue decreasing as written for large hat.
I love the final product. This hat looks great whether you want to fold the brim or leave it with some volume. I know that this is a pattern I will come back to in the future.