I started cutting the paper scraps I had into circles and even some triangles for the tails.
Cutting circles is a little harder than I thought, but I didn't worry too much about keeping them perfect.
I'm wasn't sure how all circles out of patterns would look, so I took some construction paper to amke some circles to help with the scales and bring it in a bit more.
For the bodies I used some of the cheap single color paper plates in blue and lime green I had for the party. I had purchased some decorated "1st birthday party" plates with whales and octopi on them but I also got some less expensive solid plates to mix in to help keep the costs down. There were plenty of the solid plates, so why not have some fun?
I taped the "tails" to the back of the fish. (I could have glued them but I didn't want to have to wait for it to dry, there will be a lot of gluing on the fronts after all.
Now it was time for the fun part, I started gluing the scales onto the rib of the fish and added some googly eyes to finish off the paper fish face.
I tried hard to intersperse the patterned scales with the solid scales to give a good range of color and get a planned randomness.
I purposely made the green fish "swim" in the other direction. These were PERFECT to hang on a tiny bit of wall in between our living room and dining room.
I will want to try this project again when Lucky is a bit older. I think that a young child will have a blast gluing on scales. Maybe a bunch of paper circles will be a fun thing to keep in my craft room... Hmm..... Stay tuned for more fun projects from Lucky's first birthday party!