The scaled of the outer canvas is PERFECT. One side of the caddy takes up almost an entire repeat of the fabric. I am super excited!
To cut the outer fabric on the fold, I pressed it in half along one of the chevrons. Hopefully this will allow me to match up the pocket fabric correctly. I haven't cut on the fold like this before so I'm nervous, but there is plenty of fabric in case I mess up.
It worked it worked! I matched both sides of the caddy and the pocket.
|This project has more cut pieces than any other project I've ever created.|
Since I didn't have "ultra heavy weight interfacing" but Pellon 88 (craft fuse), I cut two layers (8"x30"). I folded the interfacing in half to cut the long width, wow this is getting so much easier for me! The instructions do say "for areas that require extra rigidity, use 2 layers", so my thought to use 2 layers isn't unusual. I ironed it on with the wool/steam setting.
The pocket matching went pretty well. it isn't 100% perfect but I'm glad that I made the attempt. I'm using the heavy dual duty thread that I used for the snowflake potholders. It isn't a perfect match, but the blue matches some of the blues in the pattern and will give it some nice contrast. (I hope!)
For the vertical stitching, I squared the measurements against the top of the pocket hem. I used my air soluble markers to draw the lines and then stitched the pockets. I'm getting so much more confident doing lines! I'm also really happy with the way these lines ended up centered along the center chevron of the fabric pattern. looking good!
Now it is the hard step, adding the bottom of the bag onto the sides. I'll be sewing around curves with one really thick piece of fabric (the bottom has two pieces of Pellon 88 interfacing attached!) When Pinning, I first pinned the two edges so the top would be square and then pinned the center of the bottom piece. Heading out from these three pins helped me pin the fabric evenly and without any major gaps. Now I just have to sew it.
After turning the bag right side out, I feel like I should notch the seams a bit more to help it hold its shape better. Overall I'm happy with how this step tuned out, and we'll see what is needed as I move on to sewing up the lining.
Blast! My bobbin is doing fine but I'm running low on thread! There is no way I'll have enough to complete this project. I was hoping to use up this heavy weight thread and then get the same color in a more normal weight to do some other projects but man am I out of luck. I'll keep going as far as I can and hopefully run to the fabric store tonight.
I finished half the second caddy compartment before I ran out of thread. Unfortunately my JoAnns didn't have any of the "heavy" yarn in the color so I got "jean" weight yarn which is EVEN HEAVIER if you can imagine that. I certainly didn't want to use a thinner yarn now that I have some visible stitching on the outside, so hopefully this will look okay in the end.
I had to trim about half an inch or so off the top of either side compartment.
There is a lot of bulk on the seams of this bottom piece. When sewing on the squared off center bottom, I wasn't able to get even close to the corners because of the amount of bulk (see above picture.) I did the best I could and then finished off the corners by hand so items won't slip through the lining in this craft caddy.
I purchased two different types of cotton webbing for handles in this project. I got 1" wide white and 1.5" wide natural. The pattern calls for 1.5" webbing but fabric.com only carried it in the natural color and I wasn't sure how this would look against the awesome chevron print of the outside of the bag. Ultimately, when I compared the two straps I decided to go with the natural 1.5" width. This color is represented in the fabric and I like the look of the sturdier straps.
This chevron pattern has been magical for me with this project. 3" from either side + the 1.5" strap framed the center chevron PERFECTLY. I could not have planned this out better if I had tried.
There is one step left of this bag project, folding down the edge and stitching around the outside. I'm nervous. Will the bag stand up? Will it look strange? I want to fold and press the seams and the pin them together to try to get the best alignment possible. I started by pinning the inner and outer bags together a few inches down from the top to hold the bags together. I made sure the tops lined up, but this way I could press things into place without worrying about things slipping around. The bag actually looks pretty good at this stage.
Deep breaths. The bag is all pinned up and now I just have to stitch it together.
You can't tell the difference between the heavy and jeans weight thread unless you look really closely. Phew!
The bag also stands up way better than I had expected. It might not be perfect, but it is perfect for me and I made it all by myself! As soon as I finished taking the pictures I filled the bag with sewing tools and it now lives on my sewing table. I'm not sure I'd make this exact pattern again but I'm really glad that I challenged myself to make something complicated. I do know that I love this fabric and can't wait to make something else out of it.
Project started 11.4.2015