This is by no means a comprehensive search, but it is a list of the patterns I'm considering making for Indy.
Free Dog Vest Knitting Patterns
- Perfect Fit Dog & Cat Sweater (Pattern Generator, Top-Down) - This pattern does it all. You can select your own yarn, determine your gauge and the measurements of your dog, and the pattern will walk you through the construction. I have a feeling that this is the pattern that I will use because it will guarantee a perfect fit. It is a seamless top down sweater that has arm holes. If your pet hates to be dressed, you may need to select another pattern. You will need to create a free Ravelry.com account to access this pattern.
- Hoodie Dog Coat - This dog sweater slips over the head and through the front arms. As the name suggests there is a really cute hoodie! You will need to create a free account to access this Pattern
- Snowflake Dog Sweater - Sized for a smaller dog (22" chest). The pattern says that it gives instructions for resizing This one is really like a little sweater vest with fair isle snowflakes around the middle.
- Button Up Dog Sweater - This ribbed turtle neck dog sweater knitting pattern has buttons going up the back of the sweater. This is the cover image from the book Knitted Dog Coats (see below) but it also happens to be available for free at the link provided.
- Dog Sweater - A cute pullover with a decorative button at the throat. The knitting pattern is available in multiple sizes.
- Biscuits & Bones Dog Coat - A cozy ribbed and cabled dog sweater knitting pattern. Pullover.
- Rainbow Pooch Sweater - A cute striped dog pullover that would be easy to adapt to contain a different stitch pattern. (You could chart a cute design on the back.) Comes with instructions for 4 chest sizes.
- Dog's jumper with Norwegian pattern - Fair Isle knitting for the win in this adorable pullover. Four sizes are available, and the give examples of breeds to go along with the sizes (in addition to actual measurements.) XS = Chihuahua, S = Bichon Frisé, M = Cocker Spaniel, L = Irish setter.
- Boston Terrier-Sized Sweater - I am not sure how terriers size up to Eskies, but this pullover has a cute sleek design. The designer provides the measurements of her dog. (Pictures are available on Ravelry)
- MinnowMerino Holiday Dog Coat - Three sizes are available in this coat that goes over the head with a chest strap to secure it. There is some stunning large plaid work here, which is much simpler to make than it looks: "While knitting, the horizontal stripes are made by changing colors for a single row and a vertical rib is created with purled stitches. When the knitting is finished, the vertical stripes are made using a crochet hook, following along the purled rib."
- The 'Boyfriend" Dog Sweater - Has an adorable colorwork heart/bone (think heart with arrow) on the back. The designer has numerous other dog sweaters located on the same website.
- Knitted Dog Jumper - A striped pullover with a bit of a turtleneck.
Dog Vest Knitting Patterns that Cost Money - In my search I came across some dog vest knitting patterns that I loved, but happened to be in a book or for purchase. (You can frequently get book patterns for free from your local library.) I am going to share some of my favorite of these patterns below.
- Stripy Coat and Leg Warmers from the book "Doggy Knits: Over 20 Coat Designs for Handsome Hounds and Perfect Pooches" - A colorwork coat that fits over the head and then has a strap going under the chest. This would be easier to fit a variety of dogs, or even a growing pup. (Also easier to dress a dog that doesn't like having his paws touched.)
- Barkberry Dog Sweater (Designer Inspired) - For $4.00 USD, you can download this cute plaid dog jacket. It has a buckle at the neck is a cute detail and would be easy to adjust the fit depending on your dog.
- Snazzy Jacket from the book "The Gift Knitter: Knitting Chunky for Babies with Four Legs and Two" - I love this pattern because the image on Ravelry shows an American Eskimo! The jacket goes over the head and then has a strap under the chest to keep it in place.
- Raingear for Rover from the book "Doggy Knits: Over 20 Coat Designs for Handsome Hounds and Perfect Pooches" - This is another Tillman Design that I love. This piece is knit flat with buttons at the neck and under the chst for closure. (Of course, knit in wool this isn't actually waterproof, but it does have an elegant almost trench coat like effect.)
- Tuxedo Dog Sweater - Does your pooch need to go to a special event? It looks like he is wearing a backwards suit with the bowtie on the back of the neck. $6.00 USD from Ravelry Download.
- Christmas Trees - This fits with my initial desire to make Indy an "ugly Christmas sweater." I may still do this, but first knit a simpler sweater so I can know what fit I like on him (and to provide the canvas for my colorwork.) $6.00 USD.
Unfortunately most of the patterns I have found are not for long haired dogs, so the pictures are of fitted sweaters on dogs with very short fur. I know that the neck details aren't super important to me because they were be obscured by Indy's ruff.