- Miscellaneous remnants of machine washable worsted weight yarn in three colors.
- size 3 double pointed needles (I like a tight gauge on my cozies)
- Gauge: ~ 11 sts/2 inches; 17 rows/ 2 inches over stockinette
- A wine bottle to check the desired fit. (Measured flat the cozy is ~5"x13")
- Yarn needle or crochet hook to weave in loose ends
Row 1: Cast on 6 sts, join to knit in the round and knit 1 round even
Row 2: KfB across (12 sts)
Row 3: KfB across (24 sts)
Row 4: K 1 round even
Row 5: *K3, Kfb* repeat to end (30 sts)
Row 6: K 1 round even
Row 7: *K4, Kfb* repeat to end (36 sts)
Row 8: K 1 round even
Row 9: *K5 Kfb* Repeat to end (42 sts)
Rows 10-13: K across
Row 14: *YOx5, K1* repeat from * across
Row 15: Knit across the row, dropping the YO’s.(When you have completed this row you may need to pull on the end a bit to make sure things are lined up properly).
Rows 16-17: K across
Repeat rows 14-17 6 more times or until the project measures over 13 inches when stretched (so it will fit over a wine bottle when tied). Cast off and weave in loose ends. Use a ribbon or piece of yarn to tie the bag closed at the top of the bottle.
Abbreviations Used in this pattern:
Kfb - increase by knitting into the front and back of a single stitch.
K - knit
P - purl
SSK - decrease by slipping two stitches then knitting them together. Alternatively, you could slip one stitch, knit one stitch and pass slipped stitch over.
K2tog - decrease by knitting two stitches together.
YO - yarn over
This this pattern was created by ChemKnits for your personal or charity use. This pattern is not to be replicated, sold or redistributed without permission from ChemKnits. © 2010 ChemKnits