Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition is one of my all time favorite knitting books. A few years ago, Keith picked out the Annemor #13 design and KnitPicks Palette in Marine Heather (a blue-green) and Marble Heather (gray) for his mittens. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to this project, but I was able to complete these mittens for the Christmas 2011. I was concerned looking at the Marine Heather that it would come off feminine, but when it was combined with the gray it looked beautiful, but still masculine so I was thrilled!
With the start of this project (August 2011), I realized that palette has increased from $1.99/50g to $3.39/50g. I am disappointed by this price change, but since Palette is one of my favorite yarns, I will continue to use it.
Annemor #13 is sized for Women's Large or Men's medium, and I was afraid that the mittens would be too small for Keith. I used size 2 (2.75 mm) knitting needles rather than the size 1 (2.5 mm) needles that I usually use for these kind of mittens.
Some notes from my knitting:
- Because of the 63/64 stitch discrepancy after the first set of increases on the cuff, there was one extra stitch in the first row of the mitten. I therefore left out one of the increases for the thumb.
- On the back of the thumb, I did a double decrease on each side of the checkerboard for the very last row. (S1, K2tog, PSSO, K until last 3, K3tog)
I did not weigh the skeins before I started the project. I was concerned about having enough gray because it appeared to be running low (I had used it in a number of other projects). I knew from the past mittens and gloves that I've made that two 50g balls of palette are enough for 2 sets of hand accessories. Thankfully when I weighed the yarn the numbers look good: Left Mitten - 25 g, Marble Heather remaining - 22 g, Marine Heather remaining - 39 g. At the end of the project: Right Mitten - 26 g, Marble Heather remaining - 7 g, Marine Heather remaining - 27 g. There is enough Marine Heather for another set of mittens!
The remaining wool after this project was complete. Note that I did not start with a new ball of Marble Heather.