Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Illusion



I haven't knit an illusion project in a long time since I knit my brother the Dark Mark Scarf.  I have knit many pumpkins this month, and I though that the Keith's pumpkin possee would not be complete without a 2D member.  I therefore decided to knit the Pumpkin Illusion Face Dishcloth. I used size 4 knitting needles and KnitPicks Wool of the Andes yarn in Coal (black) and Orange. I wanted the gauge to be a bit tighter to make it more of a coaster/trivet tpe item perfect for Halloween parties.


I am a visual person, and I greatly prefer working from charts over written instructions. The Jack-o-lantern face is simple enough, and small enough (35 sts x 60 rows) that I felt that I would be able to spot any errors in the instructions as they are happening (the pattern was error free!) If the design were more complex, then I would have translated it into a chart before starting to knit.


I knit the whole pattern as written until the last pattern row.  I changed row 58: p6, k23, p6 in orange (I wanted the shape of the head to be more round, rather than hat-brim-like).  This project required 11g of the back yarn (24 yards) and 10 g of the orange yarn (22 yards).  

2 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. I have yet to knit any illusion projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They go a lot faster than you would expect when you start out looking at the charts.

    ReplyDelete